At my house, we have been preparing cookies, homemade gifts from the kitchen and, of course, handmade gifts. My home has been filled with the aroma of the season. Putting out precious decorations received from friends and family from Christmas' past and bringing back memories of the times we have spent together, laughing and loving each other keep the sacred moments alive. Yes! It is the season of light and the purest love. We all have so many blessings to count and the evidence is everywhere we choose to look. The first blessing I always count is simply in my breath. Being alive to see another night change into day is the greatest blessing of all. Coming together with old and new friends are cherished gifts. The sharing of time is sacred. Few holidays compare to the spirit of Christmas and what it brings out in most of us. Creating magic through the eyes of children, passing down of traditions, storytelling and singing and playing songs of holiday cheer and celebration are all parts of this glorious season. For most in the United States, it is a time of remembering the Christ child's birth, the nativity and celebrating ancient miracles. Pagan history tells of earth cycles. The return of the sun with shorter nights and longer days. The tales are all beautiful, regardless of our faith, all paths begin and lead back to our hearts, where love resides....where our true homes are.
As a child, my favorite gifts were bicycles and skates and anything that would "take me away" into imagined lands. My very favorite blue ballet dress that my mother made for me when I was very, very young was probably the most cherished and first memory that I have of Christmas. I can still remember it vividly.
Over the years popular toys have morphed into new forms.
I do have memories of living in a place where it snowed in the winter. One of my fondest memories is making "snow ice cream". Of course, you need to collect about a gallon of CLEAN snow! But the recipe is easy and super fun for kids. To a gallon of clean snow (you can collect it in a clean bucket while it is snowing or collect freshly, fallen snow) Add a cup of sugar, a tablespoon of vanilla extract and about 2 cups of milk. Mix it together to whatever consistency you desire and serve it immediately. It is yummy and really fun to make.
Since attending the art retreat in Aravaipa Canyon, earlier this month, I have been creating daily. The retreat lit a creative fire within me that is still burning. While making art now, I am preparing for the new adventure of the opening of my new Dove Studio next year. We will begin holding workshops, frequently. The studio is planned to be ready by February 2014 and classes will begin. This is an exciting plan and I can only imagine the people I will get to meet and share creatively with. I feel a magical year ~ 2014 ~ coming and it is hopeful and bright as I look into the future! I only hope that it is the same for everyone else. The past few years have been tough on so many folks, including myself. So, I am going to do my part in adding to the collective attitude and mood by continuing to look on the bright side, making the most of what I have, do what I can from where I am at and "tending my own garden". Spreading love begins within and the places we can light up, bigger and brighter than the sun is unimaginable when we all do our individual part. Every tiny smile and hand extended makes a huge difference.
In the spirit of Christmas, winter solstice, joy and happiness. I send my love out to you and yours and beyond for the happiest of these holy days. May we remember, reflect and experience the true meaning of Christmas and the season of winter.
~ Peace ~ Love ~ Dove ~

Hi Tracy. I know this is an old post but maybe you will see the comment anyway. I don't have a facebook account but I was able to access your page THANK YOU!! and your art is awesome.....did I say awesome?? I'm doing the RR altered book journal too and it is my first altered book as well. Looking forward to more of your art. Nice to meetcha. :)
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm so happy to be doing this project with you! I hope I don't mess anyone's book up since this is my first attempt!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words. I'm glad to meet you in this creative way! This is going to be so fun!
Hi Tracy. I received your email re the journal and tried to reply but my reply came back as undeliverable to "orders.........etc." Please send me your email addy. I cant find it anywhere. Prolly I am just duh! xo
ReplyDelete