Saturday, December 14, 2013

ARAVAIPA ART RETREAT

December 5~8, 2013 marked the sixth annual Aravaipa Canyon Art Retreat hosted by Phoenix's fabulous Denise Clayton. This was the first year that I was able to attend and I can tell you that I will not be missing this again! A little less than 20 strong, beautiful and brave women gathered at the Aravaipa Canyon Ranch for four days and three nights of continuous creating. Time spent in the canyon with these remarkable ladies was over the top delightful in every way.
The road trip there was full of magical surprises as my art retreat partner and I drove eastward to the Brandenburg mountain range, past Superior, Az. After fording the canyon creek, we were immediately greeted by cottonwood trees  full of crows. They flew off one by one, two by two and more as we trucked through the tree lined, dirt road. It was heaven on earth from the very beginning. 
I have spent most of my days and nights in northern Arizona over the years, but had never explored this incredible wilderness before. It was mind blowing, drop dead gorgeous and I am certain that I will be spending much more time there in the future, as I only experienced a small corner of this, taking small bites.
The art retreat was the most fun I have had in awhile and I fell deeply in love with all of the women who attended. I taught two classes, a pasteless paper mache class and a prayer flag class. We learned how to make resin jewelry, ornaments from fabric and paper (and I feel like I am leaving something out here).  
Our stay included anything and everything that one could ever need. We shared three meals a day, kitchen duties, more laughter than you could imagine, and ART, ART, ART. Most of our time together was spent in our pajamas crafting and creating. Really, there was little time for primping and getting dressed. And absolutely no need or desire to match up attire and makeup. We were wild, canyon women with only creativity on our minds. 
We were asked to take a buddy with us if we trailed off to explore, but anyone who knows me, knows that I have a habit of wandering off by myself, drawn to anything "shiny". lol. Fortunately, I was not met by any predator critters. I understand that the canyon is full of them. I did, however, see some wild horses...
and, of course, there was a small cabin occupied by a "real cowboy" and his horses on the property where we stayed.
Fortunate for us that he was there, as my friend and I had a flat tire the morning of departure due to a slow leak. Sky, our cowboy friend, fixed us up and the tire held all the way home, including during several stops that we made along the trip. 
Our balcony stood next to the creek where a hammock was and that sure made for a gorgeous place to rest and absorb the sun and sounds of the creek. 
We made art inside and outside ...
And hung our paper mache creations in the trees to dry...
Some of us took time out to walk the labyrinth...
 There were hiking sticks placed by the front door, available for all hikers...
A recent sweat lodge was built near the campfire circle (which was stocked with firewood) and near a small stage that was built for small concerts...
A Magical, Marvelous, Moving, Miraculous Moment with every breath. Ah, sweet Aravaipa Canyon, thank you for your earthly gifts. People and Places that I shall never forget.
Evidence of art...
                                             Aravaipa Canyon







1 comment:

  1. These photos and your words say you really, really had a great time!

    ReplyDelete