Saturday, October 13, 2012

AUTUMNAL BLISS

It is that wonderful time of year again. When the Autumnal changes are taking place and are most evident in the northern part of our state. Trekking to the high country in northern Arizona is always a breath of fresh air, literally. These photos are from last year, as we haven't made our regular visits due to all of the preparation that I have had my focus on for the painting workshop that I am teaching and hosting at Arcosanti next weekend, October 19th through the 22nd. Arcosanti is about half way to Sedona from Phoenix and we often include Jerome in that drive, as well, which I will write about at another time.
We don't have seasons like the rest of the country and the desert has a very different look this time of year. No falling leaves or big clumps of red, orange and gold which are obvious signs of the time in the wooded areas. So, we are left with killing two or three birds with one stone. Road trip, seeing the autumn leaves and getting away from the big city! All, which are favorites of mine.
Pulling out the fall decorations and filling my home with scents of spices and baked goods are some of the things that I do to bring it all home. I often imagine that I am living in the woods, in a little witches' cabin with all of nature's finest October's show right outside of my door. When I visit these places that I love, it never stops there. I bring my favorite things home with me in my heart and hold them in my mind to pull upon anytime that I wish. Although, I LOVE the desert, it is so nice to have the things that I don't have by simply remembering the sites, feel and aromas of theses places that I visit. I am an avid dreamer, so this comes naturally for me.
I visited a friend last night and she had her homemade decorations placed about her home with stuffed pumpkins that she made using gorgeous fabrics filled with beans and fiberfill and a real pumpkin stem glued on top. I have many of these, as well, (some of them are shown above) but did not make them myself. Now, I have the itch to make some. Fortunately, I will still have plenty of time after my workshop is over. That will help to overcome the "let down blues" that often accompany a big event after it ends. I really wish that it was autumn all the time, but then I would miss winter, which is truly magical, as well.

My next hippie trip will take me back to the high country again to see whatever beautiful ensemble Mother Nature will be wearing.



No comments:

Post a Comment