Wednesday, May 21, 2014

FARE YOU WELL, MY SISTER, MY FRIEND


One year ago today, my sister peacefully passed away. She made the decision to be removed from life support, herself. Her death came suddenly and unexpected, although she had been ill for several years prior, unknowingly.

We had so many crazy good times together over the years. She was hilarious and could pretty much talk me into anything. She thought that she was "the boss of me", and she definitely had me convinced for many years!

Most of her adult life, by day, she held a professional executive position at work. By night, she was a mellow, kicked back, deadhead, hippie chick and artist. That woman could paint gorgeous watercolor paintings like nobody's business. She was very talented. VERY, VERY talented.

Both of her thumbs were green. She could grow anything... and did. Her gardening skills were over~the~top, remarkable. After living in Huntington Beach, California most of her adult life, she bought an old, adorable house in the historic Garfield district in downtown Phoenix ~ in the arts district. When she moved in, the huge lot was completely brown dirt. It did not take her long to cover the grounds with gardens and chickens and surround her home with lush, ever changing flora, vegetables and trees. She created a beautiful home for herself. Being a lover of nature, living in the heart of a big city, she created an artful oasis, bringing a plethora of nature to her small plot in the city where she lived and loved.

The art studio was full of every kind of rusted metal and funky artful supplies that you could imagine. She took on a love for recycled art and created an abundance of very cool art pieces and objects. She saw the beauty in the old and ugly and had a way of putting unrelated things together to create a cohesive object of beauty.

Cheryl was quiet and cherished her solitude. But, when it came time to party, she could keep up with the best of them! Fun loving and good humored. She certainly has left me with enough good memories to last the rest of my life. Memories that keep me laughing.

There were so many things that she loved. Books, music, her VW bus, art, nature, home and garden... just too much to mention. She fought for what she thought was right and supported small businesses, local artists, etc. You would find her most always sticking up for the underdog. 


She is now resting in a small box in my home, but she is still very much alive in my heart and thoughts.
                                          "Love is Real... Not Fade Away" ~ Grateful Dead


                                        



Fare you well my honey
Fare you well my only true one
All the birds that were singing
Have flown except you alone

Goin to leave this Broke-down Palace
On my hands and my knees I will roll roll roll
Make myself a bed by the waterside
In my time - in my time - I will roll roll roll

In a bed, in a bed
by the waterside I will lay my head
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
to rock my soul

River gonna take me
Sing me sweet and sleepy
Sing me sweet and sleepy
all the way back back home

It's a far gone lullaby
sung many years ago
Mama, Mama, many worlds I've come
since I first left home

Goin home, goin home
by the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
to rock my soul

Goin to plant a weeping willow
On the banks green edge it will grow grow grow
Sing a lullaby beside the water
Lovers come and go - the river roll roll roll

Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell
Listen to the river sing sweet songs

          to rock my soul


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful tribute in loving memory.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you enjoyed this, Gemma. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Tracy. I had no idea about your sister. I am so very sorry. I know your pain, and your tribute is wonderful, and I believe, truly believe, she is watching over you and would love what you have written. Bless you! xo

    ReplyDelete