Thursday, May 22, 2014

SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING JOURNAL


Using glue, cutting with scissors, rubber stamping, etc. have never been my things. I usually try to stick with painting to avoid doing what I am not good at! I have always admired artists who make art journals. Again, I have avoided making them because I was afraid! Yes! I FEARED making art journals! I finally decided to face my fear and sign up for a round robin, traveling art journal circle of very talented women. I know that there is no other way to grow, but to stretch my creative muscles and then dive in head first. Well, I did put my toe in and test the waters before actually diving in. There are six of us in this circle, working on this project. It began with each one of us altering a book and starting on our own journal. In one month, each journal is to passed to the next person, who will add her art to the book..... and so on and so on, until your own book comes back to you. 
This has been intimidating, to say the least. The women who come before me have just knocked my socks off, at times, taken my breath away and always inspire me. I fear messing up another person's book or art work. I have told myself that there is no room for mistakes. So, you know what that means, don't you? ~ I have made mistakes and have creatively held myself back and have gone way overboard with being too loose! This whole process has helped to show me where my head is at and made me think about my own personal, creative journey. It has really been a trip.
I feel like I am beginning to settle into a comfort zone with this type of art. It was worth facing the fear, because I am now capable of actually enjoying the creative travel. 
With no further ado, here are some of the pages from various journals along the way. Some done by me and some done by the other women.





Hope you enjoyed having a peek inside these unfinished, travel art journals as much as we delighted in created them! I have connected with some new, wonderful art goddesses through this project. I believe that when we connect through a creative endeavor or on a creative level, there is no higher connection that we can make. 
Here's to Sharing Art and Friendship!


3 comments:

  1. No fear, girl. From what I have seen of your art, you do awesome work. Anyhow, there are no mistakes, just happy little accidents, as old Ross used to say. I cant wait to get my journal back. The next one I get will be yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judie, This is just not something that I am familiar working with. I am having a blast, though and am SO inspired by all of you women. My creative boundaries are being stretched to the max, which is why I wanted to do this project to begin with. Hoping it would move me beyond where I have been creatively.
    Your art is just BEAUTIFUL, I am excited every time I receive a new book in the mail from you! Currently, I have Gemma's, as you know, and it is over the top as all of the others I have received.
    Last month was a tough month for a couple of us, so there are many reasons and excuses why we have screwed up the rotation. No one seemed to mind, though. Like you said, it just allows everyone to have them a little longer!
    I will get Tere's next and then mine will come back to me. I cannot wait to see what everyone has done with mine. xoxo Better than Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I'm the same way, I have trouble wrapping my brain around art journals. I think I'm always in tune to "function" when I make things. Your blog post and these lovely pictures inspire me to just do it, strictly for the reason to enjoy and let loose!! xoxox to you!

    ReplyDelete